Ok – that’s enough. Get your mind out of the gutter! I’m talking about the “Luck o’ the Irish” or the kind of luck that saves you money or time; and leads you to great experiences. For me, getting lucky is stumbling upon an experience that wasn’t planned, necessarily.
Last year when my husband and I were in Italy, we were initially unaware that our trip coincided with the Beatification of Pope John Paul II. It was indeed a special time to visit Rome. There were free concerts and celebrations all over the city packed with people from all over the world. Excitement and reverence filled the air. It was just dumb luck that put us in the right place at the right time.
You have to make your own luck. Sure, sometimes we stumble upon really good deals. But today, getting lucky means being smart and often vigilant in your quest to plan the ideal trip. Start early; watch for deals online through travel-specific emails and social media channels.
And most importantly, when you recognize that you have a good deal in front of you whether it’s because the price is too good to pass up or because your travel dates and desired lodging match up – whatever the reason – Book it! If you snooze, you lose. I just missed out on a great “Hacker Fare” from Delta Air Lines this weekend, because I thought it might get a bit better. Now the fares are even more expensive. See – it happens to me, too.
Here are a few of my best tips for saving a dime, scoring a deal, and overall – just getting lucky when you travel.
1. I always look for things beyond just the sticker price. Look for “stay two nights get a third night free,’ options or “stay two nights and earn a $50 resort credit’ that can be used at restaurants and casinos. Check out How to Get VIP Treatment When You Travel for more tips.
2. Score great prices during the off- and shoulder seasons. You could even get a suite for a steal! Get more tips in 7 Strategies for Hotel Upgrades.
3. With fuel prices on an upward trajectory toward summer, these Tips on Saving Gas on Summer Road Trips should help you get a bit luckier when you hit the road.
4. Traveling by yourself can actually be the times when you can “luck out” the most. I have gotten one, singular, amazing seat at coveted Broadway shows purchased at the half price ticket window in Times Square simply because I only needed “one ticket”. Enjoy some solitude and be safe with these tips that have nothing to do with luck: stay safe when traveling by yourself.
5. Reward yourself. Sign up for the Hotels.com WelcomeRewards program. It’s simple and easy, and FREE to join. When you book any 10 nights, you earn a free night stay. I use my WelcomeRewards nights often and I find the program so gratifying. The program is a great way to experience a variety of hotels with the benefits of a true loyalty program. How to Get a Little Luxury for Less
Of course there are those opportunities for some real good luck, like winning the lottery or an amazing vacation. Of course, you actually have to play to win and even then the odds aren’t always in your favor. Here’s one chance that you should take: There are still five (5) weeks left in Hotels.com’s Suite Escapes Giveaway. Hotels.com is giving away 16 luxury vacations as part of their Suite Escapes Giveaway. Each week there are three luxury trips up for grabs and all you have to do is choose one and invite three friends to come along! You can enter to win a holiday at three different hotels each week (make sure to enter them on different days of the week for a better chance to win a daily spot prize).
In the spirit of pots of gold at the end of the rainbow and cute lil’ leprechauns, Here are a few ideas if you are considering a St. Paddy’s Day vacation this year. Worldwide Attractions Go Green for St. Patrick’s Day