Did you know that September is National Yoga Month? In the spirit of these 30 days dedicated to healthy living, I thought we could take a look at one of the fastest growing sectors of travel – health and wellness vacations.
Health and wellness resorts are popping up all over the world. There are as many kinds of spiritual retreats and wellness vacations as there are people who seek this special kind of travel. The International SPA Association reports that male consumers now comprise nearly 30 percent of all spa-goers. And, you don’t have to go far to experience the best in healthy living. The U.S. has some zen-tastic resorts featuring everything from Yoga on a mountain to nutrition and a good ol’ massage.
Here are a few tips for planning a health and wellness vacation:.
- Identify the location. There are now hotel and resorts with spas all over the country and even the world. However, there are more spas packed into Phoenix and Scottsdale than in any other area in the country. Florida cities come in at a close second.
- Choose the type of spa you would like to visit. Remember, you can’t do everything. Don’t try. Pick a focus based on what you need whether it’s pampering and pleasure, health and wellness, spiritual journey, or fitness – and let that guide your choice of activities.
- Health and Wellness: Explore healthy living, learn to deal with issues such as smoking or medical concerns and discover how lifestyle choices can lead to optimal wellness.
- Fitness: Work out in fitness classes, enjoy invigorating body treatments, participate in outdoor sports activities or sign up for programs to lose weight, get fit or adopt a healthier lifestyle.
- Stress Management: Learn relaxation techniques, how to manage stress and other strategies for feeling more in balance and in control.
- Peace of Mind: Pursue a spiritual journey of introspection and reflection through meditation, yoga, tai chi, chi gong and other practices or activities that lead to serenity, understanding and self acceptance.
- Pampering and Pleasure: Guests indulge their senses with massages, facials, mud or aroma baths and other delightful treatments as they enjoy a completely relaxing vacation.
Tips on how to plan a Zen-cation on a budget
Destination spas can vary a great deal in the luxuries and amenities they offer, so there is a wide price range. If you want to take a spa vacation but wonder how to get the best deals or how to make it more affordable, consider these options:
1. Stay at a less expensive hotel the night before and following your stay at the spa. If you’re going to choose a destination spa, stay at a less expensive B & B or hotel the night before, then head over in the morning to get a full day of activities in. They’ll let you stash your bags and use a locker until check-in time. You can use the same strategy on the way out.
2. Stay during the week for the lowest rates. Destination spas usually have a three-night minimum. A Thursday night arrival will cost more than a Sunday night arrival.
3. Travel off-season. In the Northeast, rates are lower in the winter, higher in the summer. It’s the reverse in the Southwest and Florida.
4. Take advantage of savings online. Follow your favorite resorts, spas, and travel companies like Hotels.com, and cities on sites like Groupon, Facebook and Twitter to have access to exclusive deals and discounts.
Get your Zen on at one of these resorts:
Poised along a private section of Waikiki Beach, The Royal Hawaiian, A Luxury Collection Resort is set amid tropical gardens in the historical district of Honolulu, Hawaii. The Abhasa Spa was recently named one of the top 100 spas and delivers its services amidst the tropical gardens of Hawaii.
A stay on the beautiful beaches of Naples is a serene relaxing escape by itself. Couple that with the rejuvenating services of the resort’s Golden Door Spa and you have a zen-tastic vacation in the making.
Add golf, tennis, and sailing to the list of sun and spa activities at this resort just north of San Diego.
Whether it’s a couple’s adventure or solo serenity that you seek, this Austin, TX resort exudes health and wellness at every turn.
Ranked the #1 destination spa in the world by Travel + Leisure, the Mii Amo Spa offers personalized all-inclusive three, four and seven night spa experiences.
Are you planning on taking a zen-cation anytime soon? Where will you be heading?